This page collects and answers the most commonly asked questions.
The Portal is an application built on top of Wormhole. When you bridge tokens through Portal, the origin token gets locked in a smart contract, and a new Portal wrapped token gets minted on the target chain. You can swap those for other/native tokens on the target chain. See which Portal wrapped tokens have liquid markets here.
Here you can find an in-depth explanation from one of our contributors, Chase:
The token register is to register new tokens on a chain, this is a once-off procedure. There will be a small fee charged to register the token. This is most commonly used by projects who will transfer the token over for the first time. Normal users will rarely ever have to use this function.
The Portal NFT bridge allows ERC721 and SPL (with a supply of 1) NFTs to be transferred between supported chains.
Portal bridging fees are currently sub-cent. The gas fees are the most expensive aspect of the transaction.
You either a) need to redeem them, or, if redeeming was already successful, b) add them to your wallet:
- You need to enter your source chain and the corresponding transaction id (which you can find in your wallet, or with your address in the blockchains explorer)
- Click Recover
- Click Redeem and accept the wallet approval
b) Add them to your wallet:
- In the Metamask assets tab, click import tokens
- The contract address can be found in the relevant block explorer transaction and clicking the token name. When you click the token name, it will open a new window and the contract address is on the right-hand side in the profile summary.
- You’ll also need a symbol - this can be anything you want to recognize the token as.
- Click add custom token
- Navigate to your Terra Finder transaction
- Scroll down to "show logs"
- Within  from_contract, you can find the token contract address as contract_address (just below "amount"). Copy that contract address
- In your Terra Station wallet, navigate to add token, paste in the contract address, and click add as the final step
(Solana only) This is because the recipient address shows the associated token account that is created within your Solana address. Unlike other blockchains, Solana requires you to create a new address for each token you own. When you click the associated token account address, you can find your Solana address as “owner”.
You bridged a token, which has no liquidity on the target chain. You will need to use Portal bridge to bridge this one back. You can do this by pasting the token contract address (which you can find in your wallet or with your address in the blockchains explorer) into the Portal “select a token” search field.
Once you have migrated your V1 assets to a Portal wrapped asset, you cannot swap them back to V1 assets.
This error means that the incorrect transaction was input into the redeem source tx field. You can find the correct one by searching your wallet address in the corresponding blockchain explorer and selecting the correct transaction.
- Please ensure you have at least 0.01 SOL in your Solana wallet
- If you're using a ledger, ensure the software is up to date and ensure blind signing is turned on.
- Please ensure you have 0.01 Sol in your wallet
- You'll need to create an associated token account.
- You just need to enter your source chain and the corresponding transaction id (which you can find in your wallet, or with your address in the blockchains explorer)
- After completing, you can hover over the recipient’s address and click "force create account".
- Click "redeem"
This error means the incorrect source chain was selected during the redeem process. Please double check the correct source chain was selected.
(Terra only) This means that you have insufficient funds in your wallet. Please make sure you have sufficient LUNA in your wallet to pay for network fees.